The Melbourne Cup Carnival
The Melbourne Cup Carnival is a four-day horse racing festival that takes place in Melbourne, Australia every November and is a staple of Australian culture. It is a huge social event as well as a sporting one, with people from all over the world heading to Melbourne for the Carnival. Alongside some of the best horses, jockeys and trainers in the world, there is always a lot of fashion on show, and the atmosphere is electric, with an estimated 100,000 people in attendance every year!
The event is certainly not one to be missed, and this blog explores how you can be there, and make the most of your trip!
Melbourne Culture: Museums & Art Galleries
Melbourne is a multicultural city with a rich history and vibrant culture. The city is home to a wide range of museums, art galleries, and theatres. Influenced by a vast array of nationalities and cultures, Melbourne is known as the cultural hub of Australia!
Melbourne is home to a number of world-class museums and art galleries, including the National Gallery of Victoria, the Melbourne Museum, and the Australian Centre for the Moving Image.
- The National Gallery of Victoria is one of the largest and most comprehensive art galleries in Australia. It houses a collection of over 70,000 works of art, including paintings, sculptures, and photographs from around the world.
- The Melbourne Museum is a natural history and anthropology museum that tells the story of Melbourne and its people. It houses a collection of over 16 million objects, including fossils, Aboriginal artifacts, and dinosaur skeletons.
- The Australian Centre for the Moving Image is a museum dedicated to the art, history, and technology of film, television, and digital media. It hosts a variety of exhibitions, screenings, and educational programs.
Melbourne Culture: Food & Drink Scene
Melbourne is a foodie’s paradise, with a thriving food and drink scene that offers something for everyone. The city is home to a wide range of restaurants, cafes, and bars, serving everything from traditional Australian cuisine to international fare.
Some of the city’s most popular restaurants include:
- Attica: This fine-dining restaurant has been awarded three Michelin stars and is known for its innovative and creative cuisine.
- Dinner by Heston Blumenthal: This restaurant is the brainchild of world-renowned chef Heston Blumenthal, and it offers a unique dining experience that is inspired by science and history.
- Vue de Monde: This restaurant offers stunning views of the city skyline, and its tasting menu features modern Australian cuisine.
Melbourne is also home to a thriving coffee culture, with cafes on every corner. Some of the city’s most popular cafes include:
- St Ali: This cafe is known for its award-winning coffee and its delicious food.
- Seven Seeds: This cafe is another popular spot for coffee and food, and it also has a roastery on-site.
- The Coffee Roaster: This cafe is known for its single-origin coffees and its friendly staff.
Melbourne has a great craft beer scene, with a number of breweries producing award-winning beers. Some of the city’s most popular breweries include:
- The Crafty Pint: This brewery is known for its experimental beers and its taproom, which is open to the public.
- Moon Dog Brewery: This brewery is known for its creative and colourful beers, and it also has a taproom and a bottle shop.
- The Brunswick Bierhaus: This brewery is known for its traditional German beers, and it also has a restaurant and a beer garden.
Whether you’re looking for a fine-dining experience, a casual meal, or a craft beer, Melbourne has something to offer everyone.
Melbourne Cup Carnival Packages
If you’re thinking of heading to Melbourne for the Carnival… look no further. We have a range of packages, or can build you an especially tailored experience!
Our online packages are:
- 2 Night Stay & Lexus Melbourne Cup Day
- 2 Night Stay & Penfolds Victoria Derby Day
- 5 Night Stay & Derby Day + Cup Day
- 7 Night Stay & Derby Day + Cup Day + Oaks Day