Over the last few months, our team has been receiving quite a few questions about Flemington Racecourse and the Melbourne Cup Carnival such as the capacity or how to locate the entrances. So in response, we wanted to help you all out with a quick facts guide. We’ve developed this one as a simple Q&A structure so you can find answers to your questions quickly.
That’s an easy one. 448 Epsom Rd, Flemington VIC 3031.
120,000 is top capacity, however, fun fact – in 2016 Flemington maxed out at 129,089 for Derby Day.
You’ll be hard-pressed to come across a 4-day carnival as big as the Melbourne Cup. The biggest days on the calendar are below with dates:
AAMI Victoria Derby Day
Date: 31 October 2020
Lexus Melbourne Cup Day
Date: 3 November 2020
Kennedy Oaks Day
Date | 5 November 2020
Seppelt Wines Stakes Day
Date | 7 November 2020
On the big day, the entrance is on the northern face of the track. You can enter via the path close to the train station or drop off points along Flemington Drive.
100%. Yes, you can leave and come back in by just displaying your ticket.
Absolutely, there are a few cloakrooms to pick from and at no charge. The list is below:
- Public cloakrooms:
Northeast corner of Betting Ring
Hill Stand – Level 1
Terrace Restaurant (Guests only)
- Committee Room (Committee Guests only)
- The Grandstand, Forum Level 1, East end, opposite lifts
- The Grandstand, Forum Level 1, West end, opposite escalators
- The Club Stand – Ground Floor, West
- The Club Stand – Level 1, East
- Chairman’s Club (Guests only)
Good question. After all, it’s important to see the actual horses on race day. There are two key areas to make this happen:
- Parade Ring: here visitors can watch the horses be saddled up and performing brief warmups before heading to the start line.
- Mounting Yard: this is the final spot where the horses congregate and line up before hitting the track. Here you can see the horses being paraded in saddlecloth order.
YES. WiFi can easily be accessed across the venue. To connect, you’ll just need to search for ‘FLEMINGTON FREE WIFI’, open a web browser to accept terms and conditions and you’re good to go.
Absolutely. The team at Flemington racecourse know how important it is to stay in touch with mates with over 100,000 other punters so they’ve installed charging stations so you don’t run out of battery. The list of charging spots are below:
- Saintly Place
- Hill Stand Level 1
- Race Day Ticketing Office
- The Grandstand Level 2 – The Atrium
- The Grandstand Level 4 – The View
- The Grandstand Level 1 – The Forum
- The Club Stand Ground Floor – Cloakroom
- The Club Stand Level 1 – Cloak Room
Restaurants, Marquees & Corporate Enclosures
- Hill Stand – Level 3 Foyer
- Hill Stand Corporate Suites
Yep! The latest edition of the Flemington App will help you:
- Find Your Way Around – Search the location map to find bars, dining and entertainment.
- Plan Your Day – Select events from What’s On and add to your planner to organise your day.
- Racing Form & Field – View races, field information, including betting odds. You can even save your favourite runners in each race.
- View Transport Times – See the train and tram times from Flemington Racecourse.
Parking is available at Flemington but a word of warning – on busy race days it’s very challenging to secure one! Parking is free and cars should enter via Flemington drive off Epsom road. If you have reserved dining, you may be entitled to a car bay. We recommend checking your tickets before assuming though!